Congratulations to Mary Goldthwaite-Gagne who, after a rigorous selection process, will join the incoming cohort of Art21 Educators, starting this summer. In 2017, Miss G. was the recipient of the PBS Digital Innovators Award.
As their website explains, Art21 is a global leader in presenting thought-provoking and sophisticated content about contemporary art, and the go-to place to learn first-hand from the artists of our time. A nonprofit organization, Art21’s mission is to inspire a more creative world through the works and words of contemporary artists.
The members of the Art21 Educators program come from rural and urban communities and teach a variety of grades. As a year-long intensive experience, the Art21 Educators program encourages teachers to consider new ways that contemporary art can support teaching and learning both in the arts and other disciplines.
Art21 provides unparalleled access to the artist’s voice to diverse audiences around the world, using the power of digital media to introduce millions of people to contemporary art and artists. For over two decades, Art21 has changed the paradigm for teaching and learning about the creative process.
In addition to its Peabody Award-winning PBS-broadcast television series Art in the Twenty-First Century, Art21 produces the digital film series New York Close Up and Extended Play; and special artist projects including the Peabody Award-winning feature William Kentridge: Anything Is Possible. Art21 also creates educational resources and professional development programs; annual public programming; an online publication featuring guest contributors; and a comprehensive website at Art21.org.
The 2019–20 Art21 Educators Cohort, the organization’s ninth class of artists, consists of:
- Lisa Becker, John Marshall High School, Saint Charles, MN
- Jennifer Bockerman, Moore Middle School, Lincoln, NE
- Tobacco Brown, ArtUp, Memphis, TN
- Sarah Ceurvorst, The Ellis School, Lower School, Pittsburgh, PA
- Elizabeth Denneau, Marana High School, Tucson, AZ
- Kayleigh Gillies, Isidore Newman School, New Orleans, LA
- Mary Goldthwaite-Gagne, Contoocook Valley Regional High School, Peterborough, NH
- Kate Jellinghaus, Westwood High School, Roslindale, MA
- Sarah Kolker, Mural Arts, Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA
- Andrea Mancuso, Nichols School, Buffalo, NY
- Jennie Maydew, Achievement First Bushwick Middle School, Ridgewood, NY
- Birra-li Ward, Woodleigh School, Victoria, Australia